Monday, January 16, 2012

Movie 15- Pride and Prejudice (The short version)

To make reading this post perfect: Light a candle, drink a cup of tea, and think of your own Mr. Darcy.

Alright ladies, all at once now "YAY!!!". There just seems to be something so right about ending this adventure with Pride and Prejudice. I had a debate as to what the last movie should be, since there was a lot of competition. I mean, Pride and Prejudice vs. Australia, North and South, Twelfth Night, and other such classics. But Since Mr. Darcy is such an iconic hero and Lizzy is one of my own inspirations, it's only appropriate.

If you don't know the story of Pride and Prejudice, I'm sorry but I'm not going to tell you. You either have to read the book, watch the 6 hour version, or both. I love the Keira Knightly version, but it doesn't give enough detail. As someone who has read the book repeatedly and seen the 6 hour, Colin Firth version, I can appreciate and fill-in-the-blanks of the short version. Pride and Prejudice is a classic, feel good movie for the woman of the world. It makes me so happy! I love the language, the relationships, the sarcasm, the complexity, and the constant surprises. It is actually surprisingly comedic. Of course, you may have to watch it several times before you get the full effect.

Oh all the things you can learn!!

Elizabeth, most often referred to as Lizzy, is simply spectacular. If I could aspire to be anyone in life, I would inspire to be her. She's extremely clever and witty. I think she very well could be the creator of sarcasm. She is most definitely mouthy in her thoughts, which is probably why I like her so much. She is full of spirit and fun, laughs easily, and doesn't often mind what others think. I feel like I am similar to Lizzy, though I'm sure many ladies would say that or at least imagine themselves to be like Lizzy. But let's pretend that I'm similar to Lizzy, that way I can apply what she learned. In the beginning, Lizzy has the same views that I have now. Which are; "Only the deepest love will persuade me into matrimony which is why I will end up an old maid." Lizzy had a couple chances to get married, though. Mr. Collins and Mr. Wickham both might have been her husband, but she passed up both options in an attempt of something "more". Was that foolish? Of course not. But we only know that because we know how this story ends. We all look for our Mr. Darcy's and Lizzy's of the world. As for me, the search can sometimes get quite discouraging. Meanwhile, the Lydia's and Kitty's of the world find their own charming soldiers. But even Lizzy didn't see Mr. Darcy as her Mr. Darcy. Why? Because of her set opinions. Though she had very good reasons for her opinions, once they were decided (even if she didn't have all the information) there was no changing her mind. Now there, that displays both pride and prejudice in Lizzy. But Lizzy gets a rude awakening to her faults when she realizes that Mr. Darcy is not all bad and neither are his actions. She realizes the information she has trusted shouldn't have been trusted. Lizzy almost realizes this too late. Mr. Darcy has a 'prearranged' marriage and had Lizzy stuck to her opinions for much longer, Mr. Darcy may have been married off and wouldn't that have been a depressing ending. Obviously it's important to be set in your opinions, to stay strong in your beliefs, but then what if you're wrong? When is it important to yield and change opinions? That is what Lizzy had to figure out. I want to be more aware of when I'm being strong in my opinions and when I'm being just plain stubborn and prideful in my prejudices.


Mr. Darcy, "The person with a quizzical brow". He certainly has pride, but not in a bad way. He's the strong, sensitive, silent type. The worst part about Mr. Darcy is that you can't tell what all he's thinking, unlike Lizzy. However, Mr. Darcy always acted in the way he thought would be right. All of the actions which Lizzy hated were performed because Mr.  Darcy thought they were the best actions (which are his prejudices). He do so in order to protect his friend, to protect his sister, and to protect himself. So what could the perfect Mr. Darcy do wrong? He lacks...finesse. Though his intentions may have been honorable, his actions were rather abrupt and seemed unfeeling. In other words, he was a poor communicator, which many people are. Had Mr. Darcy been more forward and open about his actions and beliefs, he would have avoided a lot of heartache. If he would have put any misguided ideas straight, perhaps Lizzy may have had a more favorable view of him. That's pretty much all I've got. So, basically. Mr. Darcy is perfect except for the fact that he's an introvert....but that's part of what makes him perfect. So I'm stumped. Anyone else got any thing to learn from Mr. Darcy?

So who's prideful and who's prejudicial? I say they're both, both! That's why they balance out!

But at the end of it all, I still feel bad for Mary. Poor thing is ignored the whole time!

And yes, I can basically quote the whole movie.

Mrs. Bennet- "Have you no consideration for my poor nerves?"
Mr. Bennet- " You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years."

Lizzy- "And that put paid to it. I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love? "
Mr. Darcy- "I thought that poetry was the food of love."
Lizzy- "Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead."
Mr. Darcy-"So what do you recommend to encourage affection?"
Lizzy- "Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable."

Mr. Darcy- "I love most ardently." 

No comments:

Post a Comment