Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Movie 12- Persuasion


We're getting close to the end! I'm actually kind of surprised I'm doing so well. I hope you have all enjoyed! But we're on to one of my favorite movies. I love Persuasion (I seem to love a lot of movies, but oh well)! The music starts and I'm already swept off my feet! I prefer 2007 version over the earlier one. I think Captain Wentworth is much more handsome in the newer version, though I'm not a huge fan of Anne. If you don't know the story, 8 years earlier, the Captain had proposed to Anne, but she rejected him on the advice of several of her peers and elders. However, she has never gotten over him. Anne is 27 years old and hopeless of finding a new romance.When their paths cross again, Captain Wentworth is successful and now seems haughty, and disconnected from Anne. He then seems to admire Louisa Musgrove, whom I'm not sure how she fits into the connection. When the Captain's friend expresses his gladness for the Captain's intent to propose, the Captain is shocked that people think such a thing. When Louisa actually falls in love with another navy man, Captain Wentworth is relieved of his obligations. Realizing his love for Anne, he returns to her, asks for her hand, and they happily reunite!

What did I learn?

Well, the actress who played Anne in this particular (2007) version, is much too breathy. Sometimes I feel like she has horrible asthma! But, let's talk about the character. I can relate to her (sometimes). She's very quite and soft spoken. A lot of the time, she has things she would like to say or even should say, but her manners and lack of confidence keep her silent. This makes it difficult for anyone to tell what she's really feeling. She puts up a strong front, even though she may be crumbling inside. Is this a good thing? Sure, she helps other people by being the brave one and not taking things for herself, but is it a good thing for her? Yes and no. No, it is not a good thing because everyone takes advantage of her. She's the one who stays behind to look after the sick child, she is responsible for being calm in emergencies, and much more. She is forced to bury her emotions, which obviously eats at her. However, it is a good thing. It's good because she doesn't let just anyone affect her. At one point, there is a Mr. Elliot who chases after her heart, but because she is so strong and contemplative, it takes him quite a while to get anywhere (giving Captain Wentworth plenty of time to regain any lost ground). Anne taught me that it's sometimes good to remain silent and sometimes it's not good to be too strong.



Oh, Captain Wentworth. Dignified, gallant, and all together charming. Though he does still have emotions for Anne, he struggles most forcibly against them. He would rather fake disinterest, rather than risk being rejected again. Though he seems quite incredible, Captain Wentworth has his issues. He's prideful (in a bad way), a flirt, and careless. He ignores Anne just because of his pride. He doesn't want to forgive her and risk being hurt again. He's a flirt because he pays no attention to the excessive amount of attention he gives to any and all woman. That's how he got wound up in the confusion about who he wanted to marry. That's also why he's careless. He's careless about his emotions for others, his attentions, and how he appears to everyone else. This may not be entirely bad, but it does make for a messy situation. I want to be mindful in my demeanor, actions, words, and attentions. Though I may not have the same issues that Captain Wentworth had, I can still learn to be conscientious of myself. It would have definitely saved Captain Wentworth a lot of trouble.

My favorite scene from this movie is the very end: when they dance!


"Miss Elliot, I can bear this no longer. You pierce my soul. I'm half agony, half hope. Unjust I may have been. Weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it eight years ago." -Captain Wentworth

No comments:

Post a Comment