Monday, January 16, 2012

Movie 14-The Holiday


I don't know if you can tell, but I saved some of my favorite movies for last. This movie is a favorite for many reasons; England, Jude Law, hysterical comedy. In this movie, Amanda and Iris switch houses (and lives) for two weeks. Amanda, a wealthy movie trailer producer, goes to live in Iris' house. Iris is a love sick (over Jasper), overlooked journalist. When they swap, Amanda meets and falls in love with Iris' brother, Graham. Meanwhile, Iris helps an old man, Arthur, accept the recognition for his work. Iris also meets and falls in love with Miles, a musician. However, both sets of romance are difficult because of the distance between, well, England and the US. But the movie ends happy, when both sets decide to make it work.

What did I learn?

Jude Law is great in any movie.

What else?

Well, first off, Iris. Iris is madly in love with Jasper and has been for the past 3 years. But Jasper only uses her and messes with her mind. He then gets engaged, and still wants to keep Iris around? Um. No. Not cool. All the while, Miles is there. Miles is sweet, caring, and  definitely got a good heart. However, Iris couldn't see Miles because her eyes were so full of Jasper. When Jasper finally showed his true colors and Iris was able to stand up to him and move on, she was able to see Miles for who he was. What I learn from this is like being consumed in a fantasy. When you're eyes are full of the ideal, you can't see the reality. Like I've said before, I don't want to get so consumed with something (or someone) that I miss what is really the best right in front of me.

Amanda's life is completely controlled by her work. She gets so engulfed with where her life's going, that she doesn't see that it's actually already going on around her. She pushes herself to the edge until she finally has to take a vacation. Turns out, a vacation was the best thing for her. As many of you probably know, I know what it's like to work too hard. The idea of vacations producing love is a phenomenal idea. ;) But the only reason Amanda found love was because she had the time to see her life for what it was. I want to make sure I take time to relax and experience life, rather than just work it away. Yeah, it's important, but after 7 months of hard work, where did it get me? So, I want to continue to work and do my best, but still live my life. That's pretty important, wouldn't you say?

"Well, HELLOOO big dollop!"-Miles (regarding whip cream on a frappuccino) 

"I have a cow and I sew. How's that for 'hard to relate to'?"-Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment