Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Movie 2- Thor



Movie 2 of this adventure was Thor. This is where the definition of "chick flick" begins to go awry (didn't take long, huh?). Thor and Jane are the romantics involved. If you haven't seen Thor, I suggest you do. In this movie, Thor, the God of Thunder, lands on earth, cocky and haughty. His path crosses with the frustrated and determined Jane Foster. Turns out, she needs to know what he knows, and he needs to get back to his own world. He has a dramatic personality change and they fall in love, essentially. ;)

What did I learn?

Let's start with Jane. At the beginning of the movie, her life's work was taken away by a virtually unknown government agency. As you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating to her. However, she does not just give up. She comes up with alternative solutions. Yes, she was in a way just using Thor for his information. But, she was never hurtful nor deceiving to him. She was persistent, level-headed, and it eventually paid off in love. She didn't change who she was in order to further advance her circumstances. She stayed true to herself and that's what Thor fell in love with (I feel like this will be a recurring theme!). At the end of the movie (spoiler alert), she is separated from Thor. Again, she doesn't get down in the dumps. She decides to do what she can to go find the man who stole her heart. As a result, I have decided to be more persistent. I don't want to let even the big things in life that may go wrong, get me down. No good comes from depression over the situation. Otherwise, Jane would have never even met Thor!

Now Thor. He took a bit of a different path. The reason he was put on earth was because he had too much of an ego. I mean, he started a war for heavens sake. That would need a little attitude adjustment. For most of the movie, he had this haughtiness. However, when he was at his weakest was when he was able to gain the most strength (oh those metaphoric oxymorons!). When he was unable to lift the hammer (which Darcy-in a stroke of genius-called the "Myeuh-muh"), he finally figured out that maybe he actually need to have...well, a heart and not just the looks. It was when he was able to be compassionate, caring, and selfless that he did the most damage, for the most good. More often than not, my little world revolves around me. What do I want, what do I need, what are my plans? But life's not lived alone and in order to be the most powerful that I can be, I have to be less me and more others. Make sense?

As a couple, what were Thor and Jane? Passionate (another common theme). And oh-oh-oh so charming! They were surprising and playful, bashful and open. It was Thor's confidence and Jane's shyness that made them just so darn cute together! But again, there was a respectful interaction between them. There was a sense of caring about the other. Jane didn't run away when there was danger, she worried about Thor. And Thor stood up to the danger in order to protect Jane (and others, but what do they matter now? ;).

So I guess this rambling comes down to being true to yourself, and making your true self, selfless. Life is not about the self, it's about everybody else and how they affect the self. I want to be more selfless. (Kind of contradicting since I'm writing a blog, which you are reading....)

"Is that one of Stark's?"
"I don't know. That guy never tells me anything."

Darcy- "Woah. Does he need CPR? 'Cause I totally know CPR."

Side note!
The Avengers movie is going to be incredible. I can't wait!! I pretty much love everyone involved. For example, Robert Downey Jr= awesome.
Captain America=Incredible.
Thor=Superb




No comments:

Post a Comment