Monday, December 26, 2011

Movie 1- Singin' in the Rain


Some of the best romantic movies are musicals. Though I'm not real thrilled with modern musicals (ie-of the High School variety), I have a strong appreciation for the classics. "Singin' in the Rain" starring a handsome Gene Kelly and a gorgeous Debbie Reynolds tells a classic tale of hatred turning to love. Kathy (Debbie) originally finds Don (Gene) to be pompous and arrogant. Of course, Kathy's distaste for Don almost immediately makes him fall in love with her. In the end, she sees Don's real personality and grows to love him. And they dance and sing happily ever after (after a tearful miscommunication).

So what did I learn?

In the beginning, even in her dislike of Don, Kathy tries to impress him by bending the truth. She doesn't lie to him, per se, however she doesn't give him the full story. This makes her appear to be more than she is. I do my best to live an honest life, however, I find this characteristic does appear. And like in the movie, it was all in vain. Don ended up liking Kathy for who she was, not who she said she was. So why lie? Why put the pressure on myself to try and appear to be more than I am? What happiness is there in that?

How does Don react? With sarcasm. Don doesn't chastise Kathy for lying to him. He doesn't even call her out on it. He makes sarcastic jokes and laughs at her need to build herself up, because he likes her just the way she is. I want to be able to react like this more. To take my anger and turn it into laughter instead of hatred. Because, in the end, it is Don's kindness that ultimately melts Kathy's heart, not his abilities to change her behavior with harsh words.

Even when Kathy holds a grudge and keeps up her barriers, Don persists in his attempts and wins her over. So why hold a grudge? Why not let the past be the past and start fresh? If Kathy would have just accepted her humiliation for being caught in a lie, she would have found something much sweeter, more quickly.

What did I learn from Don? Well, first off, the way to a girl's heart is through song and dance. ;) But really. He persisted until he caught Kathy, then he fought to keep her, and fought others to treat her well. Granted, I want to eventually have a guy like this, but this applies to more than just relationships. Fighting for something, even in the tough parts, produces some of the best results. If it's not fought for, it's not wanted so badly that I can't live without it. If I can live without it, then I don't need it and whatever I was working for has now become obsolete. So fight if it's worth it.

As a couple, Don and Kathy are passionate. Mostly it's displayed through their dramatic singing and tearful exchanges of words, but it is obvious they are passionate. That seems like the best way to live life and have relationships. There's also something to be said for the classic way of romance. How the caressing of hands could mean so much. In my mind, this displays a lot of respect. Respect for what's proper, appropriate, and even, sophisticated and refined. I want to conduct myself, in public and private, in a way that I'm proud of and that makes me feel....well, classy. It's like being Audrey Hepburn rather than Kim Kardashian.



No comments:

Post a Comment